Stages of a Contusion (Bruise)
Can you tell me why you get the different color changes of a bruise?
- Due to blunt force trauma.
- Characterized by extravasation of blood into the soft tissues.
- May reproduce the pattern of the object striking the skin.
- Typically have unbroken skin.
- Can only occur in a living person because there is a lack of circulation postmortum.
- When small we call them petechiae and eccyhmosis if larger.
- If palpable we call it a hematoma.
Note: Time Frame is quite variable and not very reliable but the sequence of color changes and what they represent is testable!
Copyright ©2013 Thunderpath Media Inc.